When roofing problems occur, it can be very stressful for homeowners to go through alone. Fortunately, with the proper knowledge and preparation, a homeowner can tackle a roofing problem quickly and easily. Finding a reliable roofing contractor is much easier when a homeowner knows what to expect and the best questions to ask.
So how can a homeowner know when to repair or replace their roof? Understanding the differences between what will require repairs and what may require the replacement of a home’s roof is vital before hiring a roofing contractor. Homeowners need to know what questions to ask a contractor before hiring them for roof repairs. They should also know what steps to take when hiring a roofing contractor.
What Services Does a Professional Roofer Offer?
Like other contractors, roofing contractors will offer various services to their customers. Homeowners need to know what services a roofing contractor can cover for a house. This information can be vital during a roofing emergency.
Most roofing contractors will offer the same or similar services as each other. The following is a quick list of some typical roofing services contractors offer:
- Gutter maintenance and installation
- Maintenance and repairs
- De-icing and snow removal
- Roof Replacement
- Roof Installation
- Roof Ventilation
- Treating, painting, and sealing
- Roofing inspections to detect leaks and damage
- Debris removal and cleaning
Some general contractors will offer these same services. Homeowners should call a roofing contractor as soon as they notice a problem with their home’s roofing. Hiring a roofing contractor can seem intimidating for homeowners at first, but with the proper preparation, they can make the experience stress free.
What Questions Should Homeowners Ask?
Once a homeowner knows they need a roofing contractor, it’s time to find one quickly. Obtaining multiple estimates from several roofing contractors should be the first step a homeowner takes. These estimates will help narrow the search by cost.
When talking to a roofing contractor, there are a few things homeowners need to know before they decide who to hire. Asking the right questions is vital.
Generally, the most important questions to consider are:
- Is the contractor licensed in your area?
- Can the contractor show proof of insurance before working?
- What materials does the contractor use for roofing?
- Do they offer free estimates?
- Do they offer free inspections?
- Do they have references they can provide?
- Do they offer services for emergency roofing problems?
- Do they offer roofing repairs? How much do they charge?
- Do they handle full roofing installations? How much do they charge for labor?
- Do they offer a manufacturer’s warranty?
- Do they have any inclement weather restrictions?
- Do they work with homeowner’s insurance for claims?
- How do they dispose of old roofing materials? Is there a separate disposal charge?
- What payment methods do they accept?
- Do they have financing options?
Asking the right questions will help homeowners find the best roofing contractor for the job. Always provide the roofing contractor with as much detail as possible when describing the problem. The more information they know, the better they can estimate how much work will be involved when inspecting the situation.
Hire a Reliable Roofer
Once a homeowner knows what to expect during a roofing disaster, the stress of finding a professional roofing contractor is minimal. Always remember to ask the right questions when hiring any prospective roofing contractor. Multiple estimates and preparation will help expedite a homeowner’s search for a roofing contractor. Be thorough and prepared to minimize the stress and cost of your next roofing problem.