“Nectar of the gods,” as they call it, has been known and revered since ancient times because of the medicinal benefits it carries. Among the benefits of honey include healing burns, cuts, and wounds due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties. The raw state of honey is packed with many nutrients, and this botanical extract can help you to sleep.
Raw and unprocessed honey soothes your throat, hydrates the skin, and also promotes good sleep. This is a good reason to leave a bottle on your nightstand because when you eat it before going to bed, you get the following benefits:
- It is a good fuel for the brain that helps it to run throughout the night without waking up unnecessarily. Sleeping without having eaten in many hours results in low glycogen levels, which in turn signal your brain that it needs to eat. This causes less quality sleep through the night with high chances of waking up in the middle because of hunger.
- During sleep, our brains are at a restoration phase, and honey helps release melatonin, which is the hormone used by the body for restoration. How does this work? Insulin levels are spiked by the sugars in the honey, freeing tryptophan which later turns to serotonin and then melatonin.
How does honey help you sleep?
Raw and unprocessed honey has a perfect ratio of fructose that is turned into glucose to support other organs and the liver. When you eat honey, you ensure that your brain has an adequate supply of glycogen all through the night, which is the best fuel for the liver. It is said that the body uses around 10g of glycogen in a day; therefore, when we go to sleep, the levels are very low.
Taking a tablespoon of honey before sleeping goes a long way in replenishing the glycogen levels in your liver. Melatonin release spikes the insulin levels in your body, forcing the brain to develop a healing effect. Honey also supports a wholesome metabolism, helping the liver to break down toxins stored in the fats.
Other benefits of honey
- It is a powerful antioxidant: Honey helps keep our bodies fit and healthy and functions as a great antioxidant while also improving the appearance of our skin.
- Fights cholesterol and hypertension: The oligosaccharides contained in honey are a type of carbohydrate that helps keep blood pressure under control. Thanks to the traceable elements and vitamin compounds, Honey regulates high cholesterol in our bodies and preserves the heart’s function, eliminating arterial constriction.
- It is a cough reliever: With two tablespoons of honey before bed, you can get rid of the annoying overnight coughs in both children and adults.
- Helps you keep fit: Honey is a huge energy source and is metabolized differently by the body from other sugars. Taking a spoonful helps burn excess fats while sleeping by increasing the speed of metabolism.
The unusual salt-honey combination
Mixing salt and honey allows the mind and body to naturally relax, thereby regulating the hormones. Honey provides energy for the body to perform the repair action. Organic pink Himalayan salt has more than 80 minerals, including magnesium. This reduces the production of cortisol, which is the stress hormone. When you combine the Himalayan pink salt with honey, it stimulates the production of serotonin that is responsible for the sleep-wake cycle, thereby helping you sleep more soundly.
Recipe for salt and honey combination
- Combine one part of the Himalayan salt with five parts of honey in a glass jar
- Take this mixture every day at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
- You can now sleep and relax.l
Other hidden benefits of honey
- It helps in weight loss: It has been established that people who take meals rich in honey increase their stamina and burn fat ten times more than the average person. Some nutrition experts recommend following the honey diet rule and replacing other sugars with honey, especially if you are looking to lose several pounds fast.
Better performance in athletics: Many athletes rely on carbohydrates that come from corn syrup for energy boosts during training. These carbohydrates usually contain large amounts of refined sugars and fructose. Research studies suggest that honey is a much healthier alternative to refined sugars like corn syrup. Also, the glucose and natural sugars in honey provide the body with a similar energy boost.