What is aloe vera gel and how can it be extracted?
Aloe vera gel is a pasty liquid extracted from the leaves of aloe plants. This gel has been used for centuries for healing and making the skin and hair look better. Here is how you can extract aloe vera gel from aloe vera plant:
- Cut a leaf from an aloe plant using a knife.
- Wash it thoroughly to get rid of dirt and dust and leave it in a standing position in a bowl for 15-20 minutes to drain yellow resin.
- Wash the leaf once again to get rid of any resin residue.
- Now peel your leaf using a peeler from one side.
- Once you are done peeling aloe vera gel will become visible.
- Use a spoon to scoop the gel.
- Apply the gel directly to your skin and hair or blend it for a minute or two to make its consistency better.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You can also add preservatives like vitamin C and E to your aloe vera gel to elongate its shelf life.
There are two ways to apply aloe vera gel on the skin, one is to apply the gel directly and another one is to mix the gel up with other skin benefitting ingredients and make a mask. Either ways you can reap these benefits when you apply aloe vera gel to your skin:
- If you have sunburnt skin, applying aloe vera gel will help soothe the burns and improve discoloration too. However there is no theory that proves that aloe vera can be used instead of SPF. So you must consult the Best Dermatologist in Model Town Lahore and get their recommendation on the sun protectant that will suit your skin type.
- Other than treating sunburn, aloe vera gel works like a charm in fixing acne too. It does so because it is rich in antibacterial properties which help regulate skin’s sebum production and kill the acne causing bacteria.
- Not only aloe vera helps in treating acne it also works really well in getting rid of stubborn acne marks and scars. To get rid of acne marks you must apply aloe vera gel directly to the marks twice or thrice every day.
- No wonder aloe vera gel works nicely for oily skin, it is equally good for dry skin too. If you are someone with dry skin you must switch your daily moisturiser with aloe vera gel and use the gel twice a day to prevent breakouts and cracking.
- Aloe vera gel makes a great alternative to all the expensive anti-aging products due to its abundance in beta-carotene and vitamin E and C. Other than preventing fine lines and wrinkles it helps get rid of existing fine lines too by boosting collagen production in the skin.
There is no evidence of aloe vera affecting people’s skin in a bad way but it is better to stay cautious. So you must patch test your skin before you incorporate aloe vera gel in your skin care routine. And in case you start developing rashes or hives you must consult the Best Dermatologist in DHA Karachi immediately.