Portugal D7 is a residency program that Portugal has been offering since 2007. It’s a program aimed at foreigners to get residency in Portugal. Such foreigners include citizens from outside of the EU, EEA, and Switzerland.
To get a D7 Visa, you need to have a regular income like a pension.
Let’s get you introduced to the details of the program below.
D7 Visa Portugal
Portugal initiated this program to boost the economy in 2007. It provides Portuguese residency for individuals who get regular passive income from certain sources. Such incomes can be generated from real estate, pension, financial investment, or intellectual property.
You need to be a citizen outside of the regions of the EU, EEA, and Switzerland to become eligible. Having a yearly income of €8,460 is another eligibility criterion. Your family members can apply to the visa as well. In this case, out of €8,460, an additional 50 percent for the spouse and 30 percent for each child will be necessary.
It’s possible to apply for Portugal D7 Visa at the Portuguese consulate.
Advantages of Getting Portugal D7
Holders of D7 find the program attractive and useful in many ways. Let’s look into each of these benefits below.
Once you get a Portugal D7 Visa, you can visit the Schengen area visa-free.
Doing Business in Portugal
You can conduct business in Portugal without being subject to any restrictions.
You May Choose To Become a Tax Resident
Portugal offers a special program called non-habitual residency (NHR). After you get your residency via D7 Visa, you can apply for NHR and become a tax resident. This will exempt you from many of the taxes on your foreign income for 10 years.
Family Members Are Included
Certain members of your family can get their Portugal D7 Visa like you. You can find the eligible family members below:
- Your spouse/partner
- Your children under 18 years of age. Children over the age of 18 can be included as well if they’re single and students. You can include your disabled children of yours and/or your spouse/partner, too.
- You minor siblings
- Dependent parents of both you and your spouse or partner.
Note that you need to prove your relationship to the family members you want to include.
Permanent Residency Under D7 Visa Portugal
One of the greatest benefits of D7 Visa Portugal is that it offers a one-year residency in the first place. You can renew it every two years and can apply for permanent residency when five years are over.
You can choose to become a Portuguese citizen through naturalization. In this case, it’s required to enter and pass a language test.
Healthcare and Education Rights
Being a resident in Portugal means having access to the following rights:
- National Health Service
- Vocational Schooling and the National Education Service, and
- Portuguese Law and Legal System.
Requirements To Be Eligible For D7 Visa
You can find Portugal D7 Visa requirements below:
- You need to have a clean criminal record
- You need to be a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen
- You must prove your residence address in Portugal
- You need to hold sufficient funds to maintain yourself in Portugal
- You need to spend at least 16 months in Portugal in the first two-year period. In the next three years, you also need to spend 28 months in Portugal. If you’re absent for six successive months, then your visa permit may be canceled.
Application Process For Portugal D7
- Firstly, you need to get a Portuguese tax number known as the NIF number
- Then, you can create a bank account in Portugal
- The next step is to demonstrate accommodation. This is possible by buying or renting a property in Portugal
- Then, you’ll prepare the required documents and apply for an appointment with the Portuguese consulate
- As the last step, you can enter Portugal with your Portugal D7 Visa. In this case, up to four months of residency will become available for you. You need to apply for a residence permit during these four months though.
Costs of Portugal D7 Visa
Find the required fees below:
- An application fee. It differs from €50 to €300 for each applicant
- Additional fees. Consulting a professional is one of these additional fees
- Renting or purchase costs.
In short, D7 can be a good opportunity for you and your family.