Estimated taxes

Estimated taxes

Estimated taxes, If you are self-employed, you generally need to make estimated tax payments.

In addition, you may need to make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe $1,000 or more when you file. This could happen if you are a sole proprietor, a partner in a business, or a worker in the sharing economy.

You may be charged a penalty if your estimated tax payments are late, even if a refund is due when you file your tax return.

How to file for you and your family

Learn how to file an individual tax return for you and your family.

when to file

The due date for filing and paying taxes for individuals and families is normally April 15. See our page on When to File for information on exceptions and extensions to the filing due date.

What do you need to be able to present

Taxpayer identification number

You are required to include a taxpayer identification number on all your tax-related documents.

Most taxpayer-identification numbers are Social Security numbers.

If you are not entitled to a Social Security number, you must use an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). ITINs are issued solely for federal tax filing and reporting purposes.

An ITIN does not:

  • Authorizes you to work in the United States.
  • It entitles you to receive Social Security benefits.
  • The right to qualify for the earned income tax credit.

How to file

electronic filing

Electronic filing – or e-file – is when you use commercial tax preparation software to submit your income tax return to the IRS over the Internet.

If you e-file your tax return, you will usually receive your tax refund within 3 weeks from the date we receive your return. You can receive your refund even faster if you choose to receive it via direct deposit to your bank account. The IRS offers several e-file options, including Free File.


With Free File, you can prepare and file your federal income tax return for free using tax preparation and filing software.

special taxpayers

military and veterans

Members and veterans of the United States Armed Forces have special tax situations and benefits, including access to MilTax, a program that generally offers free tax return preparation and filing. We offer tax information for members of the military to help you understand how those provisions affect you and your taxes if you are on active duty, in the reserves or if you are a veteran.

International taxpayers

Your tax obligations as an individual international taxpayer depend on whether you are a United States citizen, resident alien, or nonresident alien.

If you are a United States citizen or resident alien, your worldwide income is subject to US income tax, regardless of where you reside.

Nonresident aliens are taxed only on income from sources within the United States and on certain income that is related to the conduct of a trade or business in the United States.

cnegocios internacionales requirements .

By Manali